Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Kani Vellari Kichadi (Cooked cucumber in yogurt gravy)



This curry is one of the many accompaniments in Onam Sadhya. Some call it vellari pachidi, for some it is vellari kichadi. I researched a bit about this "pachadi/kichadi confusion". The information I got was really new to me. When jaggery or sugar is added to make the curry sweeter, it is called pachadi. The pachadi minus the sweet content is called kichadi.

I mastered to cook kichadi out of necessity - my pregnancy cravings. I phoned my mom and she passed this recipe to me. I blindly followed it, was a huge hit among my colleagues, that in the end I had to satisfy my cravings by going to the cafeteria and indulging in a tub of yogurt. Poor me! Little did I know that it was such an easy breezy curry to make.  

Recipe source: Mom

Ingredients:-
  • Kani Vellari – 1 small
  • Curd – ¾ cup
  • Coconut oil – 2 tsp
  • Salt - as needed
To Grind
  • Grated coconut – half of a coconut
  • Chillies – 3 nos
  • Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
To season
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Dry red chillies – 2
  • Curry leaves
Directions:- 
Cut vellari into small pieces. Cook vellari pieces in water and keep aside. 

Grind grated coconut, chillies, mustard seeds and add this to the cooked vellari pieces. Add curd and salt. Allow it to heat (not boil). Give it a nice stir. Switch off the stove.

Seasoning: 
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Now add dry red chillies, curry leaves, and turn off the stove. Add this to the above and close the lid till everything blends well.


2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...