Friday, May 3, 2013

Mathi thilapichathu/Chala thilapichathu/Sardine Curry




Oooh! how we love sardines. One month back, we were abstaining from meat, and my hubs reported he had this strange bouts wherein his nose sniffed involuntarily for the awesome taste of fishy fishy sardines. Hearing this do you think the sardine lover in me could drift to alpha level and retreat. No! soon we rushed to the fish market and the inexpensive fresh sardines were gleaming all silver at us. Undoubtedly, they traveled home with us sheltered in my fisherman's icebox.

I feel sorry for sardines seeing how underrated they are nowadays even when the world is running for all expensive omega 3s and vitamin Ds. This is for all the sardine lovers/chala lovers hanging around www who are not ashamed of eating it, can stand the smell of sardines, and even sweat it out ........... Enjoy your meal and always eat in moderation.

Ingredients
Sardine/Mathi/Chala - 1 kg

Pearl onions - 1/2 cup

Green chillies - 2 Nos.

Ginger chopped - 2 tbsp

Garlic chopped - 4  small cloves (Optional)

Curry leaves - 2 stalks

Kashmiri chilli powder - 6-8 tsp

Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp

White Vinegar - 2 1/2 tbsp - 3 tbsp

Salt as needed

Water - 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups




Method
Heat oil in a munchatti. Saute pearl onions, green chillies, ginger, garlic, and curry leaves. When onions turn light pink in color, add kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder. When the raw smell leaves, add water, vinegar, salt, and fish. Close the lid and cook for 5 mins or until the fish is cooked.

This is an addictive curry best eaten with rice, tapioca, etc.

Lastly, don't forget to check on my popular meen paalu curry.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree how sardines are put aside these days for other expensive fish. I still buy them and where I am, sardines are really affordable. I can get 12 pieces for less than RM4.00. My other half adores sardines deep fried.

    This sardine curry is getting me excited and worked up. I overlooked sardines today when I was picking my groceries for the weekend. How I wished I have bought them because I cook have made this uplifting and spiced up curry. Never mine, not too late. Will treasure for next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mathi is my favorite fish... curry looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW....it is mouth-watering. Curry looks perfect and full of temptation. Look forward to receive same kind of recipes. Keep up the good work...Sebeena ji.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its bee ages since i ate mathi...not a big fan though...but urs looks very inviting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chala kootiya kaalam marannu,kothiyavunnu !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know, sardines are hard-to-find fish here in the US and also know for the goodness they have to give. I love sardines and your curry is making me drool!

    Thanks for visiting my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow... ini aake vendathu kurachu kappa varatiyathu maathram...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting looking curry! I love sardines too. They are not that easily available, but I pick them up whenever I find them. Curry looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As u say the sardines are the best and I have never underrated it.. Just love these in curries, and your curry color is looking teasingly yum!! Nice click :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sebeena, you have a wonderful space and great recipe collections. Happy to follow you :-) Oh and that mathi kuttan looks so tempting :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...